Spaghetti squash is my new favorite vegetable.
This veggie is perfect for replacing carb-heavy dishes, like your favorite pasta dish. All you have to do is simply replace the pasta in the dish with spaghetti squash, add your favorite sauce and toppings, and you’re done! It’s that easy, and by making this swap, the meal now contains fewer empty calories, along with added fiber and vitamins from the squash. Spaghetti squash is rich in b vitamins and folate. Folate is especially important for women to consume because it prevents birth defects. Spaghetti squash is also high in potassium which is crucial for muscle function and recovery. This means it’s a great awesome for athletes. The calorie comparison is shocking. There are 38 calories in 1/2 cup cooked spaghetti squash, and 100 calories in 1/2 cup cooked white pasta. Most people don’t only eat 1/2 cup of pasta, but more like 1-2 cups. This means you could be saving hundreds of calories by choosing spaghetti squash over regular pasta. It is also incredibly easy to prepare.
Here’s what you will need to make this delicious squash.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Coconut oil (or any other oil of choice)
- Seasonings of choice
- Aluminum foil
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the innards, including all the seeds
- Place spaghetti squash facing up on a greased or sprayed baking sheet
- Get some oil (I used coconut) melted in your hands and spread it all over the squash (this is the fun part…make sure you get all of the squash covered up including the top or it won’t cook nicely)
- Season the squash halves with your favorite seasonings (I used a mixture of garlic, Himalayan salt, black pepper, and other herbs)
- Put some water on the pan (just some splashes to ensure the squash stays most)
- Cover the squash with aluminum foil
- Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit
When the squash comes out, you should be able to poke a fork through it easily. Let them cool for a few minutes, and then you can use the fork to begin scraping at the inside to make the spaghetti strands.
Just add your favorite sauce to the squash noodles and you have yourself a healthy delicious meal. Yay!